I was browsing through the oldest C&RL issues (now freely-available online, thank you very much) and I happened on these articles:
- W. Stanley Hoole. Library Cooperation in the North Texas Region. Coll. res. libr. September 1944 5:327-330.
- Arthur M. Sampley. Five Years of Library Cooperation in the North Texas Region. Coll. res. libr. January 1949 10:24-68.
The libraries highlight in these articles were the main academic & public libraries:
- Dallas Public
- Fort Worth Public
- Texas Christian University (TCU)
- Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Southern Methodist University
- Texas State College for Women (TWU)
- North Texas State Teachers College (UNT)
Their combined holdings were about 731,000 volumes and 79,500 government documents. In 1943, the North Texas Regional Libraries was formed (jeez – I didn’t realize it was that old!). The librarians agreed to prepare a union list of serials to share holdings, with a goal to create “a cooperative union catalog of all holdings.” But the 1948 update shows only modest success.